1. People & Relationships

Everybody (still) wants Johnny Weir to be gay! The 3-time U.S. National Figure Skating Champion has become the evil step kid of the figure skating world. Some claim it's his vocal nature and eccentric style that critics just can't ignore, but most hone in on his flamboyant speech and mannerisms. During a recent episode of Nancy Kerrigan's World of Skating "Countdown to Nationals," Mark Lund, founder of International Figure Skating magazine, was supposed to be analyzing the competition for the upcoming 2007 U.S. Figure Skating Championship, but instead spent the entire segment bashing Johnny Weir at every turn. Ironically, none of his comments focused on Weir's skating. He said,
"I cannot wrap my head around how overly out [Weir] is without saying he's out... I just don't think he's representative of the community I want to be a part of... And who designs his outfits?"
Whether Weir is in fact gay or not is entirely his business. And at the very least, his skill should be the highlight of his successful skating career, not how out he is.

I have to consider what would happen if Weir were gay and decided to publicly come out? Would Mark Lund and the other figure skating figureheads embrace him with support? Or does Weir's talent coupled with his "flamboyant" style bring up an internal and external homophobia that people like Lund never dealt with at that age.

How can a sport like figure skating be so intolerant? Lund continued his anti-flamboyant rant while discussing his favorite pick, Evan Lysacek:
"[Lysacek] has a classic elegance and masculinity on the ice that I think we need to see in male figure skating. I'm sorry I don't need to see a prima-ballerina on the ice. [Referring to Weir]"
Sorry Lund. No matter how butch male figure skating becomes, the sport will never be seen as a masculine man's competition. And if masculinity is what the sport needs, how about we start the feminine purge with the critics themselves.

If Weir wins the 2007 U.S. Figure Skating Championship, he will be the second person in history to earn four consecutive U.S. national championship titles.

Watch the Video: Countdown to 2007 US Figure Skating Nationals (runtime 7:24)
Previous Blogs: Everybody Wants Johnny Weir to be Gay
What Johnny Weir Says:
"People talk. Figure skating is thought of as a female sport, something that only girly men compete in. I don't feel the need to express my sexual being because it's not part of my sport and it's private. I can sleep with whomever I choose and it doesn't affect what I'm doing on the ice, so speculation is speculation. I like nice things, and beautiful things, so if that is the only way people are determining that I swing one way or the other, then to me, that's sad. You can't judge a book by it's cover, ever. I never get angry about things because it's human nature to be jealous and rip people to shreds if you don't like them, regardless of the subject. I am who I am, and I don't need to justify anything to anyone."
More Figure Skating: Figure Skating at About
Other Readings: Fear of Effeminate Men
Comments
January 27, 2010 at 7:14 pm
(1) dave says:

He is a poor represenative of American sports. It’s embarrassing. This sissy would perform in an evening gown if it wouldnt keep him from getting endorsements.

January 28, 2010 at 8:34 am
(2) Jay says:

Well obviously Dave is gay. Anyone that obsessed with someone else is just hiding their own insecurities. Sorry Dave you grew up ignorant and closed-minded.

November 30, 2011 at 11:33 pm
(3) Daniel says:

Agreed, Jay. Dave is gay and unfortunately never had any role models instruct him on how to be a decent person. Poor guy. Dave, you got work to do homeboy!

January 30, 2010 at 5:51 pm
(4) Charles says:

I believe that a persons coming out is their own business. It is not for anyone else to say whether they should be in or out because they are not in their shoes. Besides, I met straight men that I would have sworn were gay and vise versa. Don’t assume you know what someone elses’ sexuality is. Especially, since it’s none of your business. Everyone’s life is different with different issues. You wouldn’t hear any other group criticizing their people for not being black enough, Chritian enough, or straight enough. Why do we do to our own what we criticize others for doing to us. I’ve had people both straight and gay use the term too gay. I quickly reply that you wouldn’t say that someone is too straight would you?
t

February 9, 2010 at 10:30 am
(5) Mary Wisler says:

I like Johnny Weir… straight or gay. Men’s figure skating can be a touch boring. Johnny and his costume and elegant skating bring a touch of glitz to men’s skating. What does it matter if he is gay or not, it has nothing to do with his skating abilities. Gooooooooo Johnny.

I am straight, but open minded!!!

February 9, 2010 at 10:39 am
(6) Mary Wisler says:

I am a straight senior citizen, and I love Johnny Weir. Men’s figure skating can be boring. Johnny with his interesting costumes, out spoken ways and elegant skating style brings some life to the sport. His sex preference is not the viewing audiences business, or anyone elses. Goooo Johnny, and best of luck at the Olympics.

February 9, 2010 at 12:52 pm
(7) Craig Schoonmaker says:

There are gay kids who commit SUICIDE because they are convinced they are alone in the world and always will be, because COWARDS in public life refuse to come out publicly. If Weir is gay, it is NOT his own business but EVERYBODY’S business. And if Weir doesn’t accept his manhood but grew up thinking that “gay” means “feminine”, then he needs to FIX HIS ATTITUDE and find his manhood as a homosexual man. “Too gay” means EFFEMINATE, not masculine. Gay men are drawn to masculinity, so taking on an artificial ‘feminine’ persona dooms the effeminate to unhappiness. No straight celebrity has ever denied being straight. Ergo, Weir is gay (I avoid the convenient but oppressive rhyming Q-word). Gay boys and men all around the Nation, and world, need to know that, need to be able to point to someone and say, “Look — he’s the best in the Nation, and he’s gay, like me.”

February 17, 2010 at 5:08 am
(8) Itsme says:

Wow! Everyone on here is correct, except for homophobic Dave! Johnny is pretty apparently gay, but it is his right to not make that a part of anyone’s business but his own. But because his personality is so “bright”, it makes one wonder why he doesn’t come out and say “yeah, I’m gay…and?” But sadly, the Dave’s of the world may make that hard for some. And FYI, Dave….do you know the muscles that it takes to figure skate? Trust me, Johnny could whip your ass so hard, you would think you were gay.

February 18, 2010 at 2:46 pm
(9) Josy says:

Is Johnny gay? That may not be the question. I wonder if he is trans.

Josy

February 19, 2010 at 7:47 am
(10) Henry Carreno says:

Even if he was gay, I don’t think is important. What matter are his skills and that he represents the US as many others. I just found out about him couple days ago while watching him performing and I fell in love with his stylish form and way to perform, plus he never fell in any of the many jumps he did while others “men” fell many times.

Gay or not, this guy rules.

February 19, 2010 at 2:26 pm
(11) Eric says:

I’m a very masculine gay man, and I love Johnny Weir. There is not a thing wrong with his feminine persona. He sure as hell does not have to “fix his attitude,” and try to behave butch.

The judges screwed him in Vancouver, he should have got the bronze.

Semper Fi

February 19, 2010 at 2:33 pm
(12) Colleen says:

Johnny Weir was robbed of the bronze.

February 20, 2010 at 1:01 am
(13) Jennifer says:

Old article to be commenting on, but the comments are recent, so I’ll bite.

Craig, you are right in your initial point insofar as it’s good to have out glbt role models in the public light. Positively advocating for public figures to come out is a worthwhile endeavor. Where you fail is in demanding that another’s private life is your business, and tearing down those that appear to match a stereotype of what it means to be gay, for not being out. Assuming for the sake of argument that Johnny Weir is in fact gay, it would be a good thing if he came out, but it is entirely his business to decide if and when to make that revelation public. You further fail in two other ways.

First in assuming that he is gay. It’s clear he plays loose with gender norms, but that is not the same thing as being gay. As a transgender person myself, I know this firsthand. He may well be gay, but then again he might not be.

Second, in attempting to paint a very narrow definition of what “manhood” is and isn’t. That kind of restrictive attitude is hallmark of those who would try and push the glbt community back in the closet; the homophobes of the world.

February 26, 2010 at 12:29 am
(14) Sickinbed says:

I’m gonna take the under on this one. He’s not gay.

February 26, 2010 at 1:20 pm
(15) Leigh says:

I was watching figure skating not– Gay or Not Gay. Who cares just skate and don’t fall!

February 27, 2010 at 2:21 am
(16) Dara says:

I like Weir’s respond.
gay or not, feminine or masculine, does it really matter in sport?

March 3, 2010 at 4:07 pm
(17) William says:

Why is any of this important? Someone’s gender or orientation doesn’t matter. Their expertise in their sport does.

March 20, 2010 at 10:34 pm
(18) linda lafalaise says:

have you watched him speeking to JOY Dehar.He looks like an englishman,a little youngish,sophisticated,suave but nothing gay to me. He even has the predator factor a man who is so confident in who he is that he is not afraid of you mistaken him.
as a woman if i were next to him I would be charmed,tempted and very aware of what I’m wearing because the guy has good taste. I see a born artist, if the costume he wants does not exist he doesn’t mind invent it . that’s how I read him .but it does not necessarily makeshim gay.and if he is I love him anyway because I ‘m gayfriendly

September 21, 2010 at 5:03 am
(19) Peter UK says:

He is embarrassing to watch.

September 30, 2010 at 10:49 am
(20) Pamela Boeglin says:

JOHNNY WEIR…. HE WAS ROBBED OF THE BRONZE! THE GUY THAT TOOK BRONZE ….FELL ON HIS ARSE!

February 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm
(21) vivian says:

I really don’t care if he’s gay or not.but i think he skate wonderful.i used to think ice skating is boring and the athletes just jump around for the score.i never see a men can skate so elegant and he’s skating is like telling a story.and the costume that he design is so beautiful.i’m a china girl who think he’s good in his own way no matter he’s gay or not.

February 21, 2012 at 7:06 pm
(22) BelieveInEquality says:

I’m a huge figure skating fan and was shocked when recently reading “OUT” magazine where they talked about the flower arrangements and such at Johnny Weir’s wedding to a man. Now, I must have really missed something, since I remember him being the most militantly-closeted guy at the Olympics (when he really had a chance to be a role model to a lot of struggling kids on a world-wide stage) in spite of his crazy attention-seeking, flamboyant behavior. Because for yeeears he insisted his orientation simply wasn’t any of our business (and shame on you for wondering!), but I guess now that he has a BOOK TO SELL, and a trendy bandwagon to jump on, he’s leaped onto the front of the pride parade in his tallest pair of heals…

What an unbelievable Sell-Out media hooker! SO hypocritical!
Now he’s suddenly loud and proud, in 6″ heals, after all his previous BS & airs of indignation. Could he be any more self-centered & fake??

My point is, If you insist that your private life is private, fine, but don’t change your mind and suddenly become honest in public the moment there is money and a book deal to motivate you. He could have helped the whole LGBT community when it mattered, before it was trendy, especially the youth who needed someone to show them that you could be gay AND a champion, gay AND still loved by fans, gay AND an Olympic athlete… instead he acted like admitting he was born preferring men was worse than killing puppies in his spare time.

February 21, 2012 at 7:08 pm
(23) BelieveInEquality says:

(And just to put that all in perspective, he had no problem taking an enormous amount of bad press for insisting on wearing real animal skins from wild foxes and the like on his skating costumes and personal clothing that were butchered for the sake of his vanity, much to the disgust of animal lovers, PETA, vegetarians, vegans, buddhists and thinking people everywhere. He absolutely insisted on continuing those disgusting and inhumane practices no matter how much loathing it generated – but for some reason admitting his sexual orientation, no matter how obvious it already was, was out of the question until he had a book to sell.)

It’s an insult to those who have really struggled through prejudice, violence and rejection, that he sees coming out as nothing more than a money making opportunity.

SHAME on you Johnny.