1. People & Relationships

So, you don't know any gay dudes. Either by choice or circumstance. Yet, that gay bar across town is calling your name like Madonna on tour. You and your girlfriends have a good report though. You tend to hang with a pack of females anyway. You always go with them to the straight bars or to Cold Stone. After little prodding they agree to go with you to the homo venue. The gay bar. The place you've heard that houses all the cute boys in town, but have never been to. The thought of Britney blaring and cute boys in skinny jeans "womanizing" has got you all worked up. You know the "single ladies" routine, now is the time to put it to practice. But it's just you and the ladies. Is this allowed? Can you go to a gay bar with straight girls?

Image © Sky View/Getty Images.
Comments
February 9, 2009 at 4:02 pm
(1) Cristina says:

I suppose it’s ok. But if you’re a straight girl and you don’t want lesbians hitting on you then I would suggest you don’t go. Because if you’re hot and you’re in a gay bar, with gay women, you’ll probably get hit on. And if you get offended, it’s not our fault because it IS a gay bar. Duh. Also, don’t go there thinking you’re going to get “action” with a gay boy (other than dancing lol). That’s kinda like straight guys going to lesbian bars and expecting to “turn” us. NOT cool. Look, but don’t touch. Unless he’s bi and he’s ok with it.

February 10, 2009 at 2:32 am
(2) JollyRoger says:

More and more I see straight couples going to gay bars and bringing their straight customs into a gay space. For example, I’ve seen the disdain in a woman’s boyfriend’s face. It’s an ongoing joke with my boyfriend that we have to dance with our elbows out because it seems like straight couples and women dancing take up more space with their piroettes.

February 11, 2009 at 3:54 pm
(3) Skid says:

I suppose that for the first time in a gay bar, having a friend is OK. But if you go back there again, leave her at home! You’ll either miss the chance, as Ramon says, or worse, you’ll be shunned: poor boy can’t stand up by himself? Who wants to hang with a wuss?

February 15, 2009 at 3:45 pm
(4) Bill says:

I once went into a gay bar with my girlfriend. I didn’t know it was a gay bar, but slowly figured it out.

I wanted to leave, but she didnt, which made me mad.

My reason? If there was someone there from work, I didn’t want to know. I was with a girlfriend, I wasnt worried about myself. I didnt want someone at my company worried about me ‘outing’ them (I wouldnt, but they dont know that). I think straight people in gay bars intrudes in a quasi-private space.

Straight people have the whole world as their territory. I think gays should be left alone

(and I’m a straight guy who opposes gay marriage)

February 15, 2009 at 8:33 pm
(5) Kayla says:

Why not? Why can’t you go where you want to? Yeah I’m gay but that doesn’t mean that I’m all about my turf. The more the merrier. Heterophobes are just as bad as homophobes.

December 18, 2009 at 3:13 am
(6) GingerAle says:

Hey Bill! Why so defensive? Why are you on gaylife? Wonderingwhat those feelings are?

February 11, 2010 at 4:35 pm
(7) Elaine says:

NOT OK!! I have enough straight crushes in the real world (I’m a girl), you kind of want to trust that in a gay bar, you have some kind of chance with the girls. You have no chance going out with the cute gay guys. There are innumerable “straight clubs”, there must be one you like? I know it sounds really mean but can’t I have one place where I don’t have to deal with crushes on straight girls

February 17, 2010 at 7:14 pm
(8) Jason says:

What’s so wrong with bringing along your queer peers to a gay bar? As long as they’re open minded and looking to have a good time, then why not? Plus, if it’s a gay bar it’s highly unlikely for your straight gfs to get hit on by some gay girls unless you’re at a lesbian friendly place. I bring my gfs all the time, they like to dance, drinks are cheap and they’re good wing women helping me get that cutie to talk with me. nothin wrong with that, i do it for them when they ask me to when we go out to straightville places. and i agree heterophobes are just as bad as homophobes but heterophobes are phobic for different reasons. it’s called having been a victim to our straight brethren too many times.