1. People & Relationships

Decorated veteran, Anthony Woods, came out to his commanding officers during his second year at John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. After two tours in Iraq and a bronze metal, Woods was honorably discharged from the Army on the grounds of "moral and professional dereliction" under the U.S. military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. He was required to repay $35,000, the amount of his scholarship to attend the Kennedy School.

"It's a small price to pay for being honest," Woods said.

At the conclusion of his military career, Woods worked as an economic policy advisor and then returned to his hometown in the 10th Congressional District of California to vie for a potentially vacated congressional seat.

Current 10th District representative Ellen Tauscher was nominated by President Obama to serve as Undersecretary of State for Arms Control and International Security. If Tauscher's nomination if approved by the Senate, a special election to replace her seat in Congress will likely be held later this year. Woods is considered to be a strong candidate for the open seat.

"I believe we need leaders who will stand up and fight for their own convictions even if they are not always easy or even popular," Woods says on his campaign website.

Woods is just under 30-years-old.

Image © Anthony Woods For Congress
Comments
April 30, 2009 at 12:53 am
(1) liam says:

Do you have any more info. re: anthony woods and the 10th Ca cong district seat.? I presume he is a Democrat; however, one never knows these days. Is the 10th a safe Democratic district? And what are his positions.He will make a mighty fine looking candidate. Good luck to him!

April 30, 2009 at 4:03 pm
(2) Ryan Johnston says:

I know Tony Woods, and I’m so glad he’s running. His web site and online contribution form is http://www.anthonywoodsforcongress.com

April 30, 2009 at 4:43 pm
(3) hassan yazdanpanah says:

best whıshes from ıranıan refugee gay ın turkey for u

May 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm
(4) jason says:

He deserves the badge of honor and courage. What a remarkable story and life journey. I have pledged my support and a financial contribution to his campaign moments ago. I hope many more non Californians lend support. Bravo, Anthony Woods!

May 4, 2009 at 11:32 pm
(5) apr says:

This just makes my day. I look at him with great pride and admiration. He is what makes this country great…,the courage in our men. I wish him all the best and look forward to hearing more of him.

May 6, 2009 at 12:35 am
(6) Really proud says:

Tony is someone who gamed the system. The Army sent him to Harvard
and paid for his education. The US Military sent Woods to attend the
Kennedy School of Government to obtain a Master in Public Policy
(MPP). The MPP program is a two-year program. Currently, Harvard
estimates the costs of attending the program for one year to be
$66,610 for direct and indirect costs. The complete program, using the
current estimate, would be a total cost of $133,220.
(http://www.hks.harvard.edu/degrees/sfs/prospective-students/tuition/domestic).
this does not take into account his Army salary and housing benefits,
worth an estimated $80,000 a year or around $160,000 for his complete
time at Harvard.

Basically, the Army sends the guy to Harvard for free, gives him full
pay and benefits, then he decides to come out, on his graduation day.
I think that greatly speaks to his truthfulness and his ability to
take advantage of the system.

May 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm
(7) Cornelius Jones Jr. says:

looking forward to hearing more on this gentleman. Great News.

June 13, 2009 at 12:20 am
(8) Deeter131 says:

to really proud:

ummm hey nimrod…it was YOU dolts who told him that he needed to keep it secret…so he did..and now you blame him….
lol..HYPOCRITICAL much!!!
if all the gays in the military stood up and walked out at the same time..there would be a whole hell of alot more straight people coming home dead..you twit…

June 22, 2009 at 9:45 am
(9) N Smith says:

Really proud, good post. Sometimes we get so caught up in the “life-story” that we fail to see that here is a guy that had no problem keeping secret when it benefited him. The $35K is a token repayment and not the true cost of obtaining an MPP at the Kennedy School. Its easy to be honest about the big things, much harder to do what’s right when it won’t bring publicity. I think he should have completed his obligation to the military then come out, or not have taken the incredible opportunity to study at the Kennedy School on the government’s dime.

July 22, 2009 at 5:30 pm
(10) Heath says:

Anthony Woods can’t win with some of you people. I mean really. He “should not have taken the opportunity” to attend Harvard. Are you freaking kidding me. How about the Army shouldn’t discharge him or any other service member because of their sexual orientation. And in my book, even if this were a calculated plan to stick to the army which it wasn’t, I say more power to him. He put in his time. He served our country proudly in two tours of duty. He and all of our service men and women who put their lives on the line for us deserve even more than a Harvard scholarship. Tony Woods is a great example of what we should all strive for in this life. Congrats to him and best wishes. My donation is on the way.