Just because you like your boss, doesn't mean he's willing to pursue a personal relationship with you outside of work. Besides, you're not even sure if he's gay or not. Learn how to find out if your boss is gay:
- First, don't make assumptions. There is no one way to be gay, so don't fall into old trap of stereotypes. Your gaydar may be well tuned, but it's not confirmation.
- Don't start rumors or believe the hype. Just because Mark in accounting claims he saw your boss go into a gay bar doesn't mean that the rumor is true or that your boss is gay. Also, asking around about your boss' personal life can lead to disaster. Not only may it get back to him, but you might find yourself in a office full of trouble.
- Befriend your boss. Just like you, your boss is under no obligation to come out to his employees. If he is gay and willing to come out to you, he'll do it in his own time. The best thing to do is try and develop a friendship outside of work. Let him know that he can trust you and that anything he says won't end up in the employee rumor circle.
- Give a little. You're attempting to discover very intimate details about your boss' personal life. If you are truly finding out his sexual identity to develop a closer relationship with him, then meet him half way by sharing your identity as well.
- Never out him out of spite. Trying to discover your boss' sexual identity out of spite or to start a rumor or for leverage is just bad taste. Also note that your discovery may backfire. Employment harassment policies apply for the both the management and the employees. If you are attempting to out him to others, you may find yourself in the middle of a sexual harassment case. If your intentions are to get to know him better (maybe even for romance), understand that he may feel uncomfortable with that as well.
- You may like your boss or just want to connect with him, but ultimately your job is at stake so take caution when talking to him about his personal life and sharing yours.