But, how can a same-sex couple dissolve a civil union? Dissolution of civil unions follow the same procedures as dissolving a marriage.
- Visit the local town clerk or office where the original certificate for civil union was submitted and ask for a divorce certificate. Online applications can be found here.
- There are usually two grounds for the dissolution of civil unions, which may vary by local law. They are as follows: (1) the marriage is irretrievably broken or (2) one of the parties is mental incompetent.
- Both parties must live in the state where the union was established.
- Get legal representation, preferably an attorney that specializes in family law.
- Serve your partner with the proper divorce papers. This can be done through your legal representation.
- Discuss division of property, financial obligations and assets with your partner. Try to reach a mutually beneficial agreement, but understand both legal parties may need to be involved. The final decision will be made by the court.
- If you and your partner have adopted or natural-birth children, discuss where the child will reside and an appropriate visitation schedule. Legal parties may need to be involved. The final decision will be made by the court.
- Often the dissolution of civil unions involves complex situations and facts that can influence the courts decision about financial responsibilities, property, assets and children.
What You Need
- Family Attorney
- Divorce Certificate